Sunday, February 12, 2012

Visiting the USS Iowa

Today my family had the opportunity to visit the USS Iowa, walk aboard and speak with WWII veterans, one of whom served on the ship.  It was an amazing opportunity.  I took our digital camera as well as the Blackberry (as a backup camera) fully charged.  We were only allowed to visit the area directly around Turret 1 and under the barrels of Turret 2, but you'll find no complaints from me.  There were a number of vets there to talk to the guests and give them information on the ship and it's history. 

 It was a little sad to see the condition that the exterior of the ship was in due to almost a decade in the nearby ghost fleet.  However, the guides tell me that the interior is in excellent shape and the exterior is really in better shape that it looks.


 The decking on the forward part of the ship is Douglas Fir, as opposed to the rear which retains a good amount of the original Teak decking.  Apparently for some reason they switch to the Douglas Fir in the 80's, I would imagine due to cost, and that has not stood the test of time like the Teak decking.

This is a view that I didn't think I would ever get in person.  Oh my...

This is Turret 2.  The red arrow barely visible on the side of the turret is pointing to where a 5 inch shore gun put a round directly on the turret during one of the battles in WWII.  All it did was dent the armor.  Turret 2 is now a memorial site, and as such I am told that the only members of the public that will be allowed to enter are the families of the sailors who died in the tragedy of April 19, 1989.



Soon, the USS Iowa will begin her last journey, a transit down the California coast to Berth 87 in the Port of Los Angeles.  Since the city of San Francisco decided to decline hosting the ship on the waterfront adjacent to the USS Pampanito, the bidding was reopened and the Pacific Battleship Center eventually was awarded the ship.  San Francisco's loss will be LA's gain.  I wish them well and I hope they do the ship justice. 

In addition, there were several other organizations in attendance with displays in an adjacent warehouse. 

A training cockpit from the Blue Angels.

A Sheridan tank from the Littlefield Collection, hosted by members of the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation.  That, by the way, is another amazing place to visit.  I wore out my camera and Blackberry batteries taking pictures on that trip. 

All in all, a great way to spend the afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment