Thursday, June 6, 2013

Over my dead body...

When I was a toddler, my older sister (age 5) wanted to get a dog.  She asked Mom, who said that it would have to be approved by Dad.    Excitedly, she hurried to get his approval.  His answer was "Over my dead body."  My sister, having the endless optimism that 5 year old's are filled with, was immediately filled with joy.  From then on, at all family gatherings, she happily told all of our relatives, "When Daddy dies, we're going to get a dog!"

So this weekend, the Humane Society is having a free adoption day.  Now, understand three things:
1. We now live in a 2 bedroom apartment.
2. My wife has a service dog.
3. I am allergic to animal fur, which means that the standard poodle that my wife has is the only option for us since they have hair and not fur.

That being said, we went into PetCo for something for the service dog.  I don't even recall what at this point. An hour later I am wheeling 2 (yes, two!) cats to the car.  In brand new pet carriers.  With additional pads in the bottom for comfort...

You see, I relented on the "Lets look at cats" thing.  Then I made the requirement that the cat would have to be tolerant of a dog, since the dog was raised around cats and has no problems with them.  Well, it seems that they had only two cats who were tolerant of dogs.  And it seems that they are a matched pair.  So, I end up with two free cats.  Which will cost $300 for the pet deposit at the apartment.  And the additional $400 of stuff (must have cat tree, food, toys, litterbox, litter for litterbox, aforementioned pet carriers...) means that so far, the free cats have cost me $700, and they both still need the usual medications and such.  Oh, yea, and lots of Claritin for me.  Free isn't what it used to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment