Sunday, November 8, 2015

Oooh, shiny... Wait...

Bass Pro Shop just opened a store near me.  I was shocked when I heard that they were building one here in the Bay Area.  I just didn't think that there were enough people into the outdoor sports that included fishing and hunting in this area to support it.  Also, not the most gun friendly area.  Still, a real sporting goods superstore right here in my area.  Sweet!

I went in during the opening week celebrations hoping to see some good deals.  Sales on items that I have not bought at other retailers due to price or availability.  Hope ran high.  Parking on a Thursday in the early afternoon was still scarce.  The place was packed.  The restaurant and bowling alley both took me by surprise.  The store was as I expected, extravagant upscale redneck.  I looked at the archery equipment, since my daughter has shown an interest, but I did no research beforehand, so I don't know if anything was a good deal.  However, they had a lot of choice.

So now we go on to the firearms department.  Prepare to be amazed!  They have a firearms counter that is measured in the tens of yards.  Sweet!  Brands are clearly displayed and there were plenty of people behind the counter.  They even set up extra tables and computers to help with the expected overflow of paperwork.  Excellent.

However, I notice that there are very few sale labels.  While I was tempted by the Savage Axis for $299, it wasn't what I was looking for.  So I went over to look at gun safes.  Surely they would have a wide selection.  Mmm, not so much.  They had one safe that would do for holding both pistols and ammunition.  They only had a few rifle safes that did not require a forklift, but a higher prices than Big 5.  Then I went over to the recoil pad section and beheld the disappointment.  Not a lot of selection, only two manufacturers and all way overpriced.

So after all that, I ended up going back to the happy little gun shop that I like (Sportsman Supply) and gave them my business.  They may have lost my last shotgun purchase, but once again I received excellent assistance and advice from the salesperson.  I'll be back.  I'll treat Bass Pro Shop like I treat Fry's for my electronics:  They will have something that will fulfill a need, not necessarily what you wanted, not necessarily at the price you wanted, but they will have something in a pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment