Friday, August 5, 2011

Other people's money...

My company finally came through on training budget to send me to technical classes.  Every quarter for the last five years they would tell us "let us know what classes you would like to take, we set budget aside for it".  Then when we select classes and notify them we get the "ooh, we don't have the budget for that this quarter".  It became an entertaining game and running joke within our group. 

Well, they fiinally came through and I got to go to a training class for Windows 7.  The training facility was really nice and the teacher was excellent.  What amazed me was that several people didn't show up for the class.  The cost for the class was approaching $3000, which I can tell you I personally don't have.  And the cost is non-refundable, so either way the money is gone.  But even though it was not my money, I can't comprehend blowing off 3K of my employer's money.  I look at this like it is my money.  One of my co workers attended with me and he was less than attentive, repeatedly late and generally acted like he had something better to do with his time.  Now, since I was directly asked how his attendance and performance was in class, I can guarantee that he will not be getting another class paid for byt he company.  Normally I would resist this, but since he did the same thing during an office move in another state and left people hanging, I don't feel bad.  Every class that he screws off in is a class that I can't attend because money was wasted on him.  Even though its not my money, I still respect that it should be used wisely.  I guess there is no accounting for some people's children...

No comments:

Post a Comment