Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The limitations on loyal shopping...

So recently I purchased a shotgun so that I could teach my 12 year old daughter how to shoot. We have already covered firearm safety with the .22 pistol, so I thought that in addition to the .22 rifle I would get a manageable shotgun as well.

I decided on a 20 gauge, and since I prefer to support local business, I went with a nearby gun shop that a friend works at. I also went ahead and checked the other stores in the area (both big box and local gun stores) to check pricing and customer service. Two of the gun stores did not get my business because of the attitude when we walked in, as well as the pricing on their firearms. The attitude was the bigger issue for me.  The big box stores was a disappointment mainly because I live in the bay area. Most don't carry firearms anymore, and those that do have poor selection.

The purchase of the shotgun went well (as well as can be expected in California) with a small paperwork snafu at the pickup time.  This was mainly due to someone not putting the forms in the correct file when I completed them at the time of purchase.  But all was well in the end.

However, I recently went to visit family in Oregon and out of curiosity looked at the prices at the local Wal-Mart.  I was both happy and disappointed to see the prices and selection in the case.  I could have gotten a similar shotgun for a C-Note less.  Ok, I understand that it is a different state, different economic area, etc…  I consoled myself by picking up a box of 100 shotgun shells for substantially less than I can buy them at home.  Still, it irked me.

Then, while cruising the big box located 20 miles from home, I noticed that they actually had firearms as well.  And they were priced well.  20 miles could have saved me $75. 

All this brings me back to the title of my post.  I want to support my friend’s employer.  I like supporting local firearms stores, since there are too few in the bay area as is.  However, they have most of their product as “I can have it here by the time the waiting period is complete”.  And, in this case, I ended up with a color that was not what was originally requested (my wife hates RealTree, and that is what we now have) due to supplier issues.  I want to support the local gun store, but I can’t.  Money is too tight.  The extra money spent was a couple cases of clays and the range fees.  I don’t have the money to spend on loyalty like that.  It sucks, but then reality can be like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment