Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sometimes, my priorities are askew...

There are many things in this world to be annoyed at.  Besides Syria turning into the next Mideast quagmire, the eurozone having one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, there is the continuing violence and tragedy south of our border.  Also, Venezuela decided that they wanted to allow their glorious leader to complete the destruction of their economy and infrastructure. 

Normally, I would look at new stories based in the US and want to rage.  Like the story of Samantha Pawlucy, who was ridiculed by her geometry teacher for wearing a Romeny t-shirt.  Normally I would be asking why this teacher still has a job and if that job status would be different if it was an Obama shirt that was ridiculed.  I might even opine that I find it interesting that the President has not weighed in on the subject, considering that it made the national media. 

Still, in reality, what consumes my annoyance this morning is a television show, Revolution. 

Spoilers below.

My wife and I have been watching this show since it started airing.  I find the idea interesting, despite the obvious science fiction angle concerning the apparent artificial suppression of electrical current flow.  We were interested in how they would portray life after society collapses.  I have seen a number of shows concerning people preparing for the end of civilized society, so I like the idea of seeing 15 years after they have to put their plans into action.  Especially since they usually are prepping for 6 months to a year of survival at best.

I noted in the upcoming episode that the item I immediately thought of was being worked in, steam power.  See I know that the country is littered with heritage railroads, so I knew that it would be brought in at some point.  Since steam has many ways to be harnessed without adding electricity into the mix, I expect in reality it would be fairly prevalent after 15 years.  I also am waiting to see water power harnessed.

So far, we have found that really, while we are still interested in the portrayal of life in this situation, we do not really like the characters.  The only one we do like is Maggie, the British woman.  She is likable, obviously far from home and we genuinely care about where her character goes.  Another is Aaron, the former Google executive, but we are not as attached to him.  The two kids, who are obviously the main focus, annoy us.  The rest of the characters, well, we are just looking at how long they will last before they die.  Which, unfortunately, is what happened to Maggie.  Just as soon as we find out more of her back story, as soon as her presence is explained and we find out what she has to live for, they kill her.  She was, really, the only redeeming character for the show and now we are not sure that we will be continuing to watch.  I like the setting and can deal with the artificial solution to removing electricity from the picture, but with main characters that I actively do not like or care about, I don't give it a high chance of longevity. 

Oh well, I guess I can always just go back to watching the TSA prove that they will always find ways to make all the wrong moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment