Monday, July 22, 2013

The finest we can hire...

We recently decided to move our help desk from offshore back to the US.  While the initial roll out to the offshore company was a disaster they eventually got it kind of together, although we still regularly got people on the line who appear to have been standing in the unemployment line just before the shift started.

So we made the bold move to bring it back onshore, and located it in an area that is technology rich but has a low cost of living.  The people we hire will be professionals who do this for a living and the skill levels will be far above what we had before.  That was the theory.  The following is a transcript of our skilled professionals in action:

Helpdesk Professional: “So you are going to have to take your laptop to the Desktop group and get your laptop OS rebuilt.”
User: “Okay, so how do I do that?”
HDP: “Just take to laptop to the Desktop Department, and they will flash the OS.”
User: “Like I said, I am in Duluth.”
HDP: “Well, just take it to the Duluth headquarters.”
User:  “What do you mean? Am I supposed to book a ticket and fly this laptop to San Jose, CA? I am in a branch field office in Minnesota.”
HDP: “Well, then I don't know how to do this. Are you sure you are not in Dallas?  Because then I could just swing by.”
User: “No I am not in Dallas…I am in Duluth.”

HDP: “Well….that changes everything. I’ll have to get back to you.”

Excellent with a computer, but apparently we didn't add geography knowledge to the job requirements...

No comments:

Post a Comment