Thursday, July 18, 2013

Why yes, clueless is their game...

Many moons ago, I was young and impressionable.  Having moved out of the parental lodgings, with a job, I thought the world was my oyster.  Wanting to be informed in the coolest way possible, I ordered a one year subscription to Rolling Stone magazine.  It was a heady time, the first gulf war recently won, the soviet empire had fallen and presidential elections were coming up.  As such, I was impressed by my very first issue.  In addition to all of the music industry news that I apparently thought I needed, it also had an interview with presidential candidate Bill Clinton authored by PJ O'Rourke.  I was initially highly impressed.  However, as I continued to receive my subscriptions, I began to notice that the people writing and publishing the magazine should really stick to writing about the music scene, because outside of that bubble, they were lacking in perspective.  By the time my subscription expired, I even viewed their music reporting with a jaundiced eye.

So it comes as no shock to me that they thought putting a terrorist on the cover like a rock star would be a good idea.  They live in a bubble, not in the real world, and this type of "reporting" seems perfectly logical to them.  I am hoping that the list of retailers boycotting this issue grows to such a point that they end up using this issue as fuel to heat their offices.  At least then it would have value.

No comments:

Post a Comment