Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dear Fast Food Strike participant...

While I admire the drive and determination you are applying to your cause, I really would like to point out a few problems with your theory.  First, money does not grow on trees, so if you are suddenly paid 15 dollars an hour, that 50%(ish) raise will have to paid for somewhere.  This means that your employer will either need to raise prices or shrink the workforce.  Guess which one will come first.  Second, there are far more people in need of jobs than you think.  Firing you for walking out will not strain them one bit.

I have worked at fast food in the past and always knew that the pay sucked, the hours were crappy and that I was not going to make a career out of it.  It is not your employers fault that you are a single parent of three children who can't afford childcare.  You made the life choices that landed you where you are.  The simple objective you have is to use your work experience to show other employers that you can hold a steady job and show up to work on time.  Working your way up the ladder at that fast food job can't hurt either.  This is a stepping stone to a better job.

Also, while I feel that unions have their place, this really isn't one of them.  I doubt that this will succeed, as my experience shows that most employers will have planned for this and will have people on call who will not walk out.  Generally because they will be getting more hours, possibly OT.  So actually, you will be helping some fast food workers earn more pay, just not how you intended.

1 comment:

  1. Fast food workers demanding 15 dollars an hour? What a joke.

    Tell me, why should I have to pay taxes to support the welfare state? Why should I HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKES???

    If you cannot afford to have children, THEN DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!

    Sterilize all people on welfare. Problem solved immediately.

    ReplyDelete