Friday, November 8, 2013

And the other shoe finally drops...

So, today my company finally announced the details of the healthcare plan changes for the plan I use.  I chose an HMO plan due to cost concerns, and have been happy with that plan for years.  Due to my wife's health issues (surviving cancer still did great damage) this is the only way to keep our costs under control.  While they are not perfect, they do not complain or threaten to drop us due to my wife's health issues.

We were told today what the options and costs are for the various plans in the upcoming year.  Every year the cost increases, usually in the area of 15 to 30 dollars.  I expect it.  This year, thanks to the ACA, the costs are higher.  Much higher.  As is, right now I pay $160 per paycheck for my family to have healthcare, roughly $4200 before any co-pays.  Now that the ACA is in full force, the cost for the same plan in 2014 is $340 per paycheck, roughly $8840 per year before any co-pays.  I have already seen a number of changes in how we are treated when we go to appointments or try to make appointments.  Yes, these changes were made to accommodate the ACA requirements and the expected increase in patients.  Time with our doctors is now planned very tightly, phone appointments are being pushed as better, people who aren't doctors are manning those appointments, generally its less care with more hassle for a greatly increased price.

So, you've doubled my costs and made it harder for me to get care.  Despite your grand promises, I am not benefiting from your grand illusion plan.  I am going to put this as politely as I can at this time.  Fuck you, President Obama.  Fuck you and your god damned law.  I can see the Hope and Change.  I hope when you are no longer in office I have some spare change left in my pocket...

No comments:

Post a Comment