Monday, February 10, 2014

Go ahead, keep beating that dead....

I generally only pay attention to the machinations of the NYC politicians (and really, NYC itself) only to see how their ideas will affect the rest of the country.  Unfortunately NYC, like LA, has far too much influence and I don't see that as a good thing.  So I was amused when the new mayor decided to start his term by immediately "offending" his constituents by eating his pizza in a very un-NYC way.  Still, while I hated Bloomberg due to his inability to remember that he was the mayor of that city and as such to keep his tentacles within its limits, the new mayor makes me even more happy that I don't live in the city that never sleeps.  He is set to give his first state of the city speech and I see the usual BS being trotted out.  "Income Inequality" is the new buzzword, along with the now regular desire to raise the minimum wage and give illegals a valid ID.  To find that he was raised in Massachusetts is not a a shock.

But his push that I find most idiotic, the thing that falls into the "I guess they have solved all the other problems" category is his desire to ban the horse carriage rides in Central Park.  The carriage rides are one of the few things I that would interest me if I went to NYC.  Removing the carriages is a stupid move, but one made by someone who has taken his election as a mandate from the people to run roughshod over them instead of working for them.  Its a hill that I hope he dies on, if nothing else to keep him from damaging anything else.  He is listening to a few groups that yell the loudest instead of polling his constituents to get their opinion.  Funny, when the NRA is is that position, they are a "fringe group", but when anyone supporting a Democrat is in that position they are a "respected organization", in this case referred to as industry critics.  Funny that.  Still, I doubt that if they actually put is to a vote, the average NYC resident would see the need to end the carriage rides.  So, much like the war on soft drinks that was eventually shot down in court, I hope that this one nails the mayor's foot to the deck.  

Is it a bad sign when you reach a point that you hope duly elected officials spin their wheels in office on stupid items that will not succeed instead of doing the damage that you know they could actually accomplish if they had half a brain?

No comments:

Post a Comment