Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The fun of researching California firearms laws...

So I was checking the details on the old ammo that I unearthed in my garage when I decided to check out the California firearms laws again to make sure I had not run afoul in the past year.  California politicians really like to pass laws that immediately criminalize significant parts of the population, such as, well, anything proposed by Kevin de León.  Things that come to mind are AB 962 (overturned in court) and SB 798 (changed dramatically after visible opposition and many shenanigans on de León's part).  The first would have banned sales of ammunition using the phone, mail or internet.  It also would have required lots of paperwork and tracking of personal ammunition sales.  Then this fine state senator decided to jump on the "river of steel flowing to Mexico" fiasco, not bothering to note that the ATF was actually acting as the supplier.

So, following that ugly little rabbit hole, I decided to look back at the state websites for up to date information.  I went to the website for the California AG and after a roundabout run of the links, I got to the firearms section.  Here I find that the website hasn't been updated since apparently 2009, since AB 962 was shot down and they still prominently display it as law.  I thought the new AG would want to tidy things up there when she took office there in 2011, but not surprisingly, she hasn't had the time to set her staff to it.  I see that she is keeping up the fine standards that she showed in earlier positions.

Having just returned from the free state of Oregon, I keep looking at our finances and my career and think about what is would cost to move and how hard it would be to find another job...

No comments:

Post a Comment