Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It took a while...

For years, I have been an irregular member of the NRA.  The yearly membership, while not terribly expensive, some years just did not fit into the budget.  My wife is a lifetime member already, so I did not feel that the household was not represented.  However, it always disappointed me when I had to choose not to renew for the year.  Originally I signed up at a gun show at the Cow Palace and selected the option for the life membership in 40 payments of $25.  However, somehow that turned into a one year membership.  After that I just kept doing the yearly membership. 

Now mind you, it did take me a while to start participating as a member.  Many moons ago, before the intarwebs were invented by Al Gore and made popular by AOL, I had limited exposure to the NRA.  Generally, when I saw someone speaking who was listed as a representative for the NRA, they were not putting on the best face for the organization.  They were the steriotypical "everyone should own a machinegun" type with specks of froth at the corner of their mouth as they raved about gun laws.  While I appreciated many of the programs I had observed that the NRA provided, I had issues with an organization that couldn't get a spokeperson on camera that looked sane. 

Later (after I took journalism classes) I learned that the media exists to sell itself, not necissarily to actually present the truth.  They are there to present their version of the truth that will get you to buy their catbox liner or to watch their infomercial.  I have yet to see a news organization that will let facts get in the way of a good story.  I also started to look into the NRA and see actual spokespeople with calm demeanors and actual facts at their fingertips. 

Now I finally reached a point where money is not short.  The credit cards are clear, no lingering bills are hanging over our head and my company did well and issued bonuses.  So I had a choice, one of which was to possibly purchase another firearm.  I still lack a 1911, so I was anticipating purchasing one.  However, I chose differently and decided to finally purchase the NRA lifetime membership.  Yes, I could have spent far less, purchasing a 3 year membership and one of these with 10 spare magazines, but I decided that this was something who's time had come.  So, I finally plunked down the cash (well, really I clicked, 'cause its the internet and all) and purchased a life membership.  In 2 to 4 weeks I should have a shiny new card and a spring in my step.  Well, I'll have the card anyway...

Now I just have to work towards attending a convention.  I won't make it this year (so I'll have to live vicariously through JayG)but hopefully in the next few years I will have the scratch to make it to one.  Maybe they will hold one in my area.  Oh, wait, SF bay area...  Yea, I won't hold my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment