Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Apparently, it is difficult...

I have been struck by how many people in the tech industry have lost the ability to type correctly.  What really gets me is what many of these people think is acceptable to send as correspondence, be it email, snail mail, instant message or text message.  Now, I know that I am likely loosing the battle on text message spelling, as my 14 year old will happily tell me how hard it is to type on a phone keyboard.  Fine.  But really, in a corporate environment, with a full suite of software and a complete keyboard, am I asking too much that spelling, punctuation and sentence structure be given at least a cursory glance?  Microsoft Office, all of the major browsers and really any software I have come across that allows text in the last 10 years all have spell check built in and normally on by default.  Is it so difficult?  I have seen emails from director level people that was typed in all caps, no periods and with a number of mis-spellings.  I have several people in my work group that seem to think that they are texting when I know they are using a laptop with a full keyboard.  One in particular seem to believe that periods are strictly optional and parentheses are only needed at the beginning and not the end.  Some of these emails reach outside vendors.  I shudder to think what this says to them about the people at my company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment