Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The news can be depressing or annoying...

I made an immediate observation yesterday while reading the reports on the tragedy in Boston.  There are daily bombings in Iraq that take dozens of lives and it is a Page 2, Column 3 item with the news organizations.  We have a bombing in the US that kills three and it is front page, top of the news channels complete with its own catchy title and font.  Admittedly, I am following it as much as any American, since it happened in my country, but I did find the observation interesting, as did several people on CNN's comment section.

That being said, I noticed another story regarding drones and how they are "radicalizing a new generation of terrorist" in the Swat Valley of Pakistan.  I am on the fence about drones, in that I like the military having that capability, but I don't like the legal twister that has been played to justify the use of them in other countries against the wishes of that countries government.  But that is neither her nor there, since the issue was the young boys being "de-radicalized" in the Swat Valley after being apprehended by the Pakistani government.  I applaud their efforts.  What I thought was simple minded was the journalist that made the case for drone strikes being the main reason for the radicalization of these boys by the Taliban militants.  The mentality shown by the islamic militants in general has shown that they will find a reason to blame the US for the woes of their people.  Drone strikes are convenient at this time, but support for Israel, the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, the shelling by US warships of Lebanon in the 80's, the Crusades, all of these are game and the list is endless.  When a group is looking to bend people to its will, especially people that will be expendable, they need only a convenient excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment