Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Reading can be a joy...

Long, long ago I read a series of three books by Elizabeth Moon that was combined into a single volume called "The Deed of Paksenarrion".  Its set in a fantasy world, but written from the viewpoint of a sheep farmers daughter.  I both loved and hated it.  I have always had issue with leaders in organized religions and the "wisdom" that I personally feel is normally arrogance, and in the second book of the series she hit that button square.  I feel that this is the sign of a great author.  I cared deeply for the character and was incensed by how the character was treated.  Brilliant.  I hadn't read the series in about 20 years when I pulled the book off the shelf several years ago and started re-reading.  I got to that section and once again was so affronted by the behavior of the religious leaders that I actually had to stop reading.  This was a first.

I have also slowly gotten into using my Nook more and more.  I personally like the feel of a book in my hand as opposed to an e-reader, but I have warmed up to the Nook.  I like having the ability to take a collection of books with me without using the large amount of space those books occupy.  When I first got my Nook, I found that I that Paksenarrion was not available, much to my disappointment.  However, recently I found that this had changed.  All three books and the omnibus edition were now all available.  I also found that in the interim, Elizabeth Moon had decided to start writing new books in that world, such that I now had four new books to read.  This coincided with a gift certificate for B&N, which means that I get to read all four as fast as I want.  Which has been faster than I expected.  In about a week, I have gone through three books and am on the fourth.  And the fifth is not due out until the end of May.  I have actively slowed down my reading to intentionally not finish the last book too quickly, but that won't last.  I must give the author credit that she has me so interested in her characters.  I can't wait until she releases the next one.

Luckily, however, I have another Larry Correia MHI book waiting in the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment