Friday, November 5, 2010

My private reading room.

Years ago I used to make fun of one of my friends because when he went to use the restroom, he would take a book with him.  And usually it seemed that he would cover several chapters while in there.  I was of the "get in, get done, get out" camp and it amazed me that he would take that much time on the throne. 

Many moons later (pun intended) I find that I have a stack of American Rifleman magazines on the bathroom counter that get regular use in that location.  I don't know when this started, but now I regularly reach for an issue while taking my daily constitutional.  My wife now gives me a hard time about it, always calling from the other side of the door "Did you fall in?"

I do my best not to walk in there with an actual book.  I have noticed that several bloggers whom I regularly read have actual bookshelves in their bathrooms.  I think my wife would kill me if I tried that.  Also, steam from the shower would wreak havoc on the books.  We have poor (actually, non-existent) ventilation in our bathroom.  On several occasions when my wife has been away, I have walked in with a book and spent so long there (Ok, just to the end of this chapter...) that my legs went to sleep.  Have you ever sat there so long that when you finally do decide to stop reading, you don't entirely recall if you just relieved your bladder or made a substantial deposit?  Just me? Oh, never mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment