Saturday, September 21, 2013

Curse you, Larry Correia...

I finally had the spare cash to buy a book.  Now understand, I love books.  I used to make weekly trips to Barnes & Noble to pick up something.  My wife is exasperated with my library, which in the house we recently moved out of covered three of the living room walls and one in the dining room with 6 foot tall shelves.  However, due to financial constraints, I have been limited on my book purchasing for several years.  Oh, yes, and my wife said that she would break my arm if I bought more books.  So I was thrilled when I got a B&N Nook for Christmas several years ago.  Unfortunately, while there are tons of free books on PDF and eBook form, most of what I wanted to read costs money.  Also, the Gutenberg Project is both limited and has what I consider poor quality control.  So even though I have two Nooks now (I got a Nook Touch as a present last year) I have not really gotten any new books.

That changed recently.  I was given a small bonus at work for a job well done and normally I spend these rare opportunities to take my wife out to dinner somewhere nice.  This time I was a little selfish.  I took her out and we got burgers instead of steak.  I then put some money into books for my Nook.  Evaluating the options, I purchased an omnibus edition of the first three Monster Hunter novels by Larry Correia.  Now, I know the man is a gifted writer because I read his blog.  In fact, you will find it linked in the sidebar.  And all the other cool kids listed there raved about his novels.  So I went with the cost effective option and grabbed the three for one book.  Since then I have not slept well because I am having a problem putting the book down.  Having a Nook with a light attached does not help, since I didn't even notice when my wife turned off the living room light and went to bed.  It is a page turner and fully the kind of book I love to read.  When I sit down at about 9 pm to read a few chapters and then realize its 2 am and I have to get up in 4 hours to get ready for work, I know its a damn good book.  So curse you Larry Correia for depriving me of sleep with your excellent writing.  Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment