Saturday, December 28, 2013

Ah, holiday travel...

Since I am still on crutches, it would make sense that my boss would request that I make a short trip to Oklahoma on one day's notice.  A 10am doctor's appointment meant that I had to plan an afternoon flight, but I found the shortest flight possible and wasn't arriving too late. Frantic packing, equally frantic bag inspection for items not allowed by the TSA and double triple checking everything made for a late night, but we got it done.

After an entertaining doctor visit, I managed to arrive at the airport two and a half hours early.  I thought this was great because with two carry on bags (one laptop bag and one CPAP bag) and crutches, I was envisioning loads of fun.  Instead, before I was actually out of the car, two skycaps for American Airlines noticed that I had crutches and were there to help with the bags, curbside ticketing and bag check for my suitcase and a wheelchair for me.  In mere minutes, I was being whisked by a very polite gentleman up to security and past the long line.  Now for the dreaded TSA experience.  I still had to lose the belt and everything in my pockets, but the attendant helped me get everything in trays and through the X-ray.  The TSA agents were polite and helpful, not requesting the shoes off since one is a medical boot, and put me in a chair while they quickly swabbed the shoes and handed me my stuff.  For all that I dislike the TSA and how they are required to do their job, I have to compliment them on a very pleasant experience.  So, a full 2 hours and 10 minutes before my flight, I was sitting comfortably at the gate.

The kindness continued on the first flight, through the connection on the electric cart to the second flight and on the second flight were they moved me to a bulkhead seat with room for my injured foot to be comfortable.  I was then transported on a wheelchair all the way to baggage claim, where the gentleman got my suitcase for me and put it on the cart I rented.  My rental car was not too far of a walk using one crutch and a nearby attendant happily returned the cart and gave me the quarter that the cart return spits out.  All in all, it was a great experience.

After driving the 30 minutes to the hotel, I was actually tired and ready to relax.  I asked the lovely young girl at the counter if I could get a room next to the elevator if I was getting an upper floor room, to which she replies happily "Certainly sir, no problem!"  After getting my bags on a cart, I use the one crutch method to push the cart to the elevator and head to the top floor.  There I head for my room, which turns out to be as far from the elevator as can be had in that hotel.  Well, I guess I had a good run for most of the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment